Sweet and beautiful gluten free Strawberry Banana Pancakes with a fresh strawberry puree. A perfect start to your Valentines!
Hello! It’s me again, back with another Valentines recipe for you.
Valentines isn’t just for chocolates, treats, and fancy dinners. It’s Valentines DAY, you know. Which means you have to celebrate all day long.
From the moment you wake up from the moment you go to bed, you should be seeing red. And not in the metaphorical sense where you see red when you are full of anger and rage. No, that would be weird and quite a terrible Valentines day if that was the case.
I meant you should be seeing red from all the décor, crafts, parties, and goodies you will be staring at all day.
To get you started on the right foot for this day of love and affection, I figured I’d throw you a bone with these fancy schmancy Strawberry Banana Pancakes. These winners will surely prep you for all the sickly lovey dovey gestures of extreme admiration you are likely to encounter all day.
I mean really, we all know that nausea is more likely to occur on an empty stomach, so I really am doing you a huge favor making sure that you have a nice breakfast to counteract all the mush and gush.
Alright, I’m really not that bitter about Valentines. It’s a cute holiday and just another fun excuse to make all kinds of delicious goodies. Actually, for that reason alone it’s a great holiday!
But, if I’m being honest, I would have made these Strawberry Banana Pancakes whether or not Valentines was upon us. It’s just the fact they so happen to be red, and fancy, and sweet…so why not pretend that they are specifically for this special day?! Nobody’s arguing here!
These pancakes are light and fluffy (the same two words I always describe pancakes as…I need a thesaurus) with an amazing texture! The flavor of these pancakes are like a lightly sweetened banana bread, but with little speckles of fresh strawberries throughout.
You could definitely eat these pancakes naked (not you, the pancake) they’re that good, or…
You could top them with strawberry puree, bananas, whipped cream, and CHOCOLATE!!! Yeah, that’s the way I prefer to eat them, too.
The strawberry puree is super simple and adds an extra boost of strawberry flavor to the plate. Plus it’s red, and pretty. You can choose to puree the mixture leaving a few chunks for texture, or puree the sauce until smooth. It’s just as good either way you go!
The flavor of these pancakes reminded me of something, but I couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was. After inhaling a pancake, and watching my little family inhale 2 or 3…each…it finally clicked.
That’s exactly what they taste like. You’ve got your fresh bananas and strawberries, a little dollop of whipped cream, and a drizzle of chocolate. Exactly the toppings I would dress my banana split with. I guess you could add a sprinkle of chopped nuts to the top, and you would have a banana split homerun for sure. Yum!
So if these pancakes don’t start your day off right, I don’t know what will. And good luck to those around you trying to make you happy because you are obviously a lost cause. Hehe!
Happy Love Day!
What are your plans for Valentines?
- For Pancakes:
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1)
- ¼ cup mashed strawberries
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Strawberry Puree:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Begin making sauce by thinly slicing strawberries. Combine strawberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until strawberries are softened. Remove from heat.
- Begin heating skillet on slightly less than medium heat (4 out of 10) while making pancakes. In a mixing bowl beat egg and milk together. Combine sugar, vanilla, mashed banana, and mashed strawberries. Mix until combined.
- In a separate smaller bowl sift together coconut flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, gluten free oat flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, flaxseed meal, baking soda, and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet and mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Grease skillet with cooking spray or butter. Drop ¼ sized spoonfuls of batter onto skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until edges are set and tops are bubbly. Gently flip pancakes and cook 1-2 minutes more until centers are cooked.
- Finish strawberry puree by putting cooked mixture into a food processor and pulsing until desired texture.
- Serve pancakes warm with strawberry sauce, sliced bananas, whipped cream, and a drizzle of chocolate.