Roasted California Baby Gold Potatoes drizzled with avocado oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and a variety of spices. Velvety smooth on the inside with a slightly crisp skin.
I love potatoes. I don’t care whether it’s mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, or French fries. Potatoes make me happy.
I have a little beef with meal plans out there that eliminate potatoes from your diet based on the fact that they are a starch. Yes, potatoes that are fried, slathered with butter, or mashed with heavy cream may not be the best for your heart or hips, but a plain old potato never did anything wrong to deserve this kind of exile.
Fact of the matter is a potato is a vegetable and in my book, vegetables are A-Okay.
Plus potatoes are filling, so as long as you dress them in a healthy way, they keep you full and provide you with the needed energy to tackle your day. But really, they just taste good.
One of my favorite go to side dishes are roasted potatoes since they are simple, cook faster than a baked potato, and are kicking in flavor with all the herbs and spices. There is nothing simpler than shaking a handful of potatoes in a bag with some avocado oil and seasonings, and throwing them in the oven for 30 minutes for the perfect side dish.
Usually I quarter new potatoes when I plan on making this side dish, but the other day California baby gold potatoes were on sale at my local grocery store. Besides being the cutest little miniature potatoes you’ve ever seen, they have the creamiest texture when baked.
Think of the plain old russet potato as the peasant of all potatoes. Then you have the new potato that is more like a commonwealth potato. And then, yes then, there is the magnificent California baby gold. I pretty much think this potato is the ruler of all potatoes. The king of all spuds.
These Roasted California Baby Gold Potatoes are velvety smooth on the inside with a slightly crisp skin. Before roasting, they are drizzled with avocado oil and rubbed with salt, pepper, oregano, and a dash of savory seasonings.
Flavor party??? Yes!
It’s so much fun to eat these bite-size golden little nuggets. You can fit three on a fork all at the same time. Trust me, I did…a few times. Although I do recommend slowing down and savoring each tiny little bite, one after the other, after the other, after the other.
I love pairing these potatoes with a lean protein and a colorful low-carb vegetable for a complete and nutritious meal. And if you have leftovers, these potatoes actually heat up great after 45 seconds to a minute in the microwave, unlike other larger potatoes that get that weird “reheated flavor” after nuking.
So please give spuds another chance, will you? I promise they’re good for you when eaten in moderation and prepared with wholesome ingredients. Don’t be too quick to judge!
What is your favorite potato side dish?
- 2 lb. California baby gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Rinse and dry potatoes and place in a single layer in baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of avocado oil over potatoes. Toss with hands to evenly coat all potatoes.
- In a small bowl mix together salt, pepper, oregano, ground mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle mixture evenly over potatoes. Toss with hands again to evenly coat potatoes with seasonings.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, stirring after 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.