These Gluten Free Oatmeal Date Coconut Muffin Bites are the perfect sweet snack on the go, loaded with pecans, dates, coconut, and old fashioned rolled oats.
If you’re not in the mood to listen to me rant and rave about how misfortunate I am in this upcoming pity party, feel free to browse on over to another site.
I’m giving you fair warning.
I must be the most spoiled rotten princess on the face of the planet, maybe even in the entire galaxy because I HATE HAWAII!!!
Yes, you heard me correctly. I do not enjoy being here, not one tiny bit…okay, well I do enjoy our outings to the beach, but that’s about it.
Let’s recap the past two weeks:
I’m sick, and have been for over a week now. In fact, I pretty much can’t hear out of my left ear. On top of that, my allergies are completely flaring up. Itchy throat, sneezeing…what the heck?! I thought the humidity was supposed to HELP with allergies.
And don’t get me started on the humidity!!! Whoever said Hawaii has nice weather was obviously smoking crack. I am soooooo HOT. And not just hot, but completely sticky ALL THE TIME!
We have no air condidiotning here, so we rely on just the trade winds coming through our house. Somebody please tell me how I can bribe these stupid winds to blow through our house in the middle of the freaking day when it is 90 degrees outside with 100% humidity.
ANNNNND, we have no furniture. Who knows when that will get here. We are camping out in our living room on a deflated blow up mattress until our beds arrive. Joy.
Oh, and to get anywhere in Hawaii plan on at least 30 minutes per 2 miles because there is ridiculous amounts of traffic. Traffic and roadwork and PEOPLE. Everywhere.
Okay, and lastly…for now…prices are ASTRONOMICAL! We are on milk and juice rations over here because I seriously cannot afford this. And say bye bye to Emry going to preschool this year (which I was so looking forward to) because unless you have an extra $500 laying around, you ain’t getting any preschool baby.
Wait, that reminds me. There is one more thing that stinks. Apparently the cut off birthday for kids starting kindergarten around here is July 31. JULY FREAKING 31st. Which means, if you do the math, Emry has to wait an entire extra year to start kindergarten.
Deep breaths. This is when I wish I was more into zen yoga. I need to calm down.
So before I really lose it, why don’t I just share with you this super amazing (total opposite of living in Hawaii) recipe for Gluten Free Oatmeal Date Coconut Muffin Bites.
They really are yummy. Not just some BIG LIE people tell you so you will trick yourself into liking them…wait, I’m still talking about muffins, right?
But really, these muffins are soft, tender, moist, and sweet. They are the perfect little engery pick me up for a busy morning or hectic afternoon.
They’re made with coconut flour, along with whole grain brown rice flour and a mixture of potato and tapioca starch. And the sweetness comes from a combination of brown sugar, granulated sugar, and a 1/4 cup of honey for extra flavor.
The best part is that these muffins are gluten free, egg free, AND dairy free (optional). The mashed bananas replace the eggs and coconut oil can easily be subbed in place of butter.
And if you want extra texture added to the oatmeal, date, nut, and coconut combo, you can always sprinkle in some dry quinoa. Costco sells these little muffin bites that are similar and they have quinoa mixed throughout for a little crunch.
My kids really enjoyed these for a little treat/snack mid morning. You can go through a batch quicker than you think. And those that you don’t eat right away, just throw them in the freezer for up to 3 months. They defrost perfectly.
Well, wish me luck on the rest of this island adventure. I need it. And if all else fails, I’ll just sit in the corner of my closet and cry, eating a handful of yummy muffins. Ugh.
Do you love where you live?
- 1½ sticks butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- ¾ cups dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 small)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and lightly flour (with any type of gluten free flour) mini muffin tins. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, mix together on low speed melted butter, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, and honey until smooth.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, sift together brown rice flour, coconut flour, potato starch, arrowroot or tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add mashed banana and mix on low until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix on low until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed. Beat on low for an additional minute.
- Add oats, dates, nuts, and shredded coconut to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Fill muffin tins ⅔ way full with batter and bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until tops are set and bounce back at the touch of a finger or a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in tin on a cooking rack for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and allow to continue cooking on rack.