Soft batch Gluten Free Coconut White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Cookies are full of coconut flavor with pockets of melted white chocolate chips and some roasted macadamia pieces for a little crunch.
So I grew up a white chocolate gal. Torture me, stone me, mock me…I know!
I have since transitioned into the fabulous world of CHOCOLATE. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, hazelnut chocolate…you name it.
Candy??? I want a Snickers.
Ice cream??? Give me the fudgiest, most chocolaty, decadent scoop you got!
If all else fails, and there is no chocolate dessert in the house, I can always rely on a handful of chocolate chips for a quick fix.
Except yesterday they were all gone!!!! WAHHH!
And it was even more terrible because I was just busting out all my ingredients to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. My heart was set on chocolate chip cookies.
So scrounging through the pantry I found a bag of white chocolate chips. Yes, a lonely bag that has just been sitting there waiting for me to make amends with my old friend: WHITE CHOCOLATE. I’ll admit I begrudgingly pulled the bag out of the pantry and threw it on the countertop, sulking for a brief few seconds before remembering one of my all-time FAVORITE childhood cookies…
…Coconut White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Cookies!!!
I haven’t had these cookies in ages, yet they speak sweet nothings to my heart each time I eat one. I tell you, Paradise Bakery has a killer white chocolate macadamia cookie that is chewy, crunchy, and full of white chocolate chips, sweetened coconut, and macadamia pieces. I think their version also has old fashioned rolled oats in it. Whatever their combo is…YUM!
Side note: I actually have a somewhat dishonest strategy for ordering at Paradise Bakery. Since you always get a fresh chocolate chip cookie with your sandwich/salad combo, I always ask to switch it out with a white chocolate macadamia cookie (or ginger molasses when in season). They’ll give me my requested cookie right away when I pay, but more often than not when my food comes out, they’ve accidentally left complimentary chocolate chip cookie on the plate. Of course I tell them, but since they can’t reuse it, they let me keep it.
SCORE! Two free cookies!!! I am a genius.
So when making these Gluten Free Coconut White Chocolate Chip Cookies, I had quite the model to live up to. I wanted these cookies to taste just as delicious as my favorite bakery cookie. And indeed they did.
Now these are NOT a copycat version, so don’t be confused. They are just another yummy take on a white chocolate chip cookie. They are soft and chewy with lots of COCONUT flavor. I used coconut oil, coconut flour, and sweetened coconut flakes in the cookie dough.
The mixture of white and brown sugar give these cookies an extra depth of flavor as well as a soft texture. As far as cookies go, I’m always a fan of throwing in at least a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. There is just something about the flavor of brown sugar that is a must for homemade cookies.
And for the mix-ins…don’t skimp on those white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. The more the merrier! Biting into those smooth creamy chunks of white chocolate is heaven in conjunction with the coconut flakes and macadamia pieces. You could even go with cashews if you don’t have macadamia nuts on hand. Those two nuts are pretty much interchangeable in my opinion; kinda like walnuts and pecans.
My girls, who can sometimes be finicky with coconut flakes, devoured these cookies and requested one or two from the freezer each day for the next week. I’m kind of a weirdo when it comes to fresh cookies. I won’t eat homemade cookies that are more than a day old, so I leave out only what we will eat that day and freeze the rest. When I need a cookie fix, I just pop one in the microwave on defrost for 10-15 seconds.
Viola! FRESH cookies anytime!
What is your favorite childhood cookie?
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup arrowroot starch (or potato starch)
- 1½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped roasted macadamia nuts
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together the melted coconut oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, sift together salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, white rice flour, oat flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, and arrowroot starch. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir on medium until smooth.
- Add rolled oats and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add coconut, white chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts and mix with spoon until evenly distributed. Cover cough with plastic wrap (touching dough) for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop walnut sized balls of dough onto baking sheets about 2" apart (12 on a sheet) and bake for 11-13 minutes until cookies are lightly browning.
- Slide parchment paper with cookies on top of a cooling rack and allow to cool completely